MOM'S POSTS WILL BE IN BLUE. MINE WILL BE WHITE.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Wink

HGC Day 9:  Down .6 pounds. 

I have two of the greatest parents on the planet!  They are sincere, honest people with impeccable integrity.  They would do anything for you (I suppose I get that from them) and they're always there to help someone in need.  So what I'm about to say, while it may seem snotty, is said with the utmost respect and love. 

Today I had to drive to Tucson to facilitate a training session for a client.  I was up late last night finalizing my slides and preparing diet food for my trip.  My dad, who is a retired engineer, asked me several times yesterday if  1.) I  knew where the rental car office was and 2.) wanted to take his GPS.  I assured him each time that do know where the rental car office is located and have been to this client site several times so I don't even need to consult Map Quest for directions.

I went to bed last night exhausted after working on my presentation much of the day.  As I tried to doze off my mind started to race.  I started to wonder if I actually did know where the rental office is located.  Then I stated to think "it's been a while since I've been down to Tucson what is the name of the exit, oh no it was under construction last time I was there.  What if it's changed?"  When I got up this morning I quickly pulled directions on my Blackberry. Whew, okay no stress.  But that was easier said than believed, my right eye was twitching.  Am I stressed or just tired? 

Looking like I have a nervous tick, my eye blinking every few minutes, I quietly packed my briefcase and lunch.  My dad came out dressed for his golf game.  He complimented my outfit and said "Now don't be nervous, you're prepared, you'll do fine."  I'm not nervous, I thought.  'But maybe I should be' crept into my mind.  Holy cow!!  How in the world did I survive growing up in this family?  Thank God, I had a two hour drive to the client site.  Mom has been grumpy and stressed for two days and now Dad was stressing me out.  Deep breath . . . two hours is plenty of time to clear my head and get into 'nerd mode.' 

My presentation went well.  I don't have to go onsite very much these days; most of my work is done via the web, even training, so it felt good to be around colleagues and be productive.  As I started my two hour drive home I realized my eye was still twitching.  This morning I chalked it up to stress (thanks Dad) but now I'm alone, relaxed and ready for a few days off.

These last few days I have felt terrific.  I have energy.  I'm happy and sassier than ever.  I dropped off the rental car, while I waited for dad to pick me up I was thinking about some advice Dr. M. gave us.  He said this diet is a good time to get rid of negative thinking.  Our brains are making all kinds of new connections during this diet and this is a great time to reprogram our brains with positive ideas.

I was feeling grateful for the wonderful parents I have.  Appreciating the values and tools they provided me to be successful in this this very big world.  I started to giggle at my dad coaching me (and asking me over an over if I'm prepared) and I remember that I'm a lot like my dad. I have my own rituals for being prepared.  I was smiling when dad pulled up mom's little white BMW with the top down.  As I stood up to gather my things, silly grin on my face, my eye began to twitch again.  Looking up complete with silly grin and twitchy eye the rental guy shot me a big smile.  He ran around the counter to hold the door for me.  As I walked out the door he winked at me and said "you come back and see me real soon."


P.S.  I emailed Dr. M. about the eye twitch.  He said I need some electrolites and recommended EmergenC, low surgar formula.  I'd better get some right away . . . before I give someone else the wrong impression.

No comments:

Post a Comment