MOM'S POSTS WILL BE IN BLUE. MINE WILL BE WHITE.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Day 9: Fountains mountains and lunch with my mother-in-law

My daughter and partner in dieting had to take a day trip today and I am babysitting the kids. I thought this would be a good day to take the kids to the outdoor mall with the fountains and let them play there for a while. I called my mother in law (grandma) and invited her along. I haven't wanted to advertise that I am on the program but  she was going to know something was happening when I pulled out the lunch I brought along so I rehearsed what I was going to say on the way to pick her up. 

Some things you need to know about Grandma to help you understand my reaction are as follows. This woman is 87 years old but looks like she is 70 (which is only twelve years older than I am). She has always been one of those narturally thin eat-anything-you-want-and -never-gain-a -pound people. She eats candy and coke every day and  has never prepared a healthy vegetable in her life. In her mind if the food doesn't taste good it couldn't be good for you. So I wasn't crazy about sharing my "plight" of yet another "I'm trying to lose some weight again" events with her. So how to tell grandma?

I decided to break the news when we in line at our favorite lunch spot, Paradise Bakery. She said, "are we getting our turkey, cranberry on mollasses bread today? Half sandwich with no cookie or whole with a cookie?"  I decided to be straight up about it although I knew it would disappoint her because everyone in her entire family but her is always on some kind of a diet.

"Grandma, I'm on a diet again" I confessed.

"Oh I need to go on one too so I'll get a salad", she unexpectedly informed me. "Can you help me find a good pasta salad?

"Oh grandma you haven't got a clue", I thought to myself shocked at her idea of a diet lunch. To her I said "well grandma go to the counter and look at their choices."

She did and came back with her nose turned up and told me to order her a sandwich and a coke and forget the whole thing. Right then I was wishing my weight loss"mountain to climb" could be climbed as easily as changing my mind like grandma does.

I'm climbing my mountain alone today amist the fountains the food and the fun the kids are having. I miss my daughter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment